Celebrating over 25 years in the industry, Scanline VFX specializes in creating complex visual effects for high end, block buster feature films with studios worldwide: Vancouver, Los Angeles, Munich, and Stuttgart. Founded in Germany, the company expanded to Los Angeles in 2007 and opened the largest studio in beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia in 2011. In 2015 it won the Emmy for Outstanding Visual Effects for their work on Game of Thrones. Scanline VFX has received multiple Academy Award Nominations for Best Achievement in Visual Effects: 2014 for Iron Man 3 and in 2010 for its work on director Clint Eastwoods Hereafter. We are also well known for our proprietary, in-house fluid effects software Flowline, for which it received a 2008 Scientific and Technical Achievement Academy Award.
Today, it is one of the biggest names in the industry and the go-to studio for creating epic, breathtaking cinematic moments. Current productions include: Justice League: Part 2, Meg, Black Panther, Tomb Raider, Aquaman, and several other projects to be announced soon.
Recent projects include Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, Power Rangers, The Promise, Batman vs Superman: Independence Day Resurgence, Ben Hur, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Dawn of Justice, Game of Thrones, Furious 7, San Andreas, The 5th Wave, Point Break, Hateful 8, and In the Heart of the Sea. Past films include Exodus, The Hunger Games Mockingjay, 300: Rise of an Empire, Captain America: Winter Soldier, White House Down, Godzilla, The Wolf of Wall Street, Snowpiercer, Journey 2, Blackhat, Man of Steel, Iron Man 3, Looper, Cloud Atlas, A Good Day to Die Hard, The Amazing Spiderman, Divergent, Pompeii, Iron Man 3, Into the Storm, The Avengers, Battleship, The Invasion, Poseidon, Immortals, Super 8, 2012, Hereafter, 300, Poseidon, and The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.
Scanline VFX offers a leading edge creative, collaborative team environment working with brilliant talent from around the globe. Located in the heart of downtown Vancouver, BC the studio is steps from transit, the best in the city's trendy Yaletown dining and Robson high street shopping. On site amenities include a lounge/nightclub with big screen projector tv, pool table and foosball tables, over-sized patios and rooftop deck kitchen & BBQ areas, secure bicycle storage, massage chairs, showers and lockers. Experience fun team events, parties, sporting activities, local business discounts and much more.
Seeking a challenge where you will do the best work of your career?
"FOLLOW" us on linkedin for job board updates.
The Pipeline Supervisor works with studio wide departments providing stewardship for 2D and 3D projects (Nuke, Maya + Max) and overall leadership to the Pipeline team. Partnering with the Pipeline Department Manager, the Supervisor, has a solid understanding of Project Management best practices in software development including: requirements gathering, planning, scope, risk, dependencies, re-assessment, metrics and reporting. The Supervisor’s perspective is high level and forward thinking but also able to provide direction for day-to-day studio pipeline matters, managing inter-departmental expectations while balancing priorities. Solid experience leading change management, ensuring quality assurance standards and post-project reviews for ongoing improvement is required.
- Holds vision of the company Pipeline team’s role, standards, service agreements and provides guidance and leadership through change management.
- Works with Pipeline leadership, and studio leadership including Production, CG Supervisors and Leads to determine requirements for current and upcoming shows; advises on implementation and potential solutions.
- Leads studio wide feature implementation collaboratively and strategically while balancing overall company technical strategies.
- Gathers requirements across large collaboration efforts that span multiple departments and/or disciplines.
- Leverages team expertise and current technology research and development trends to innovate and advance Scanline’s technologies; interfaces with Sups/Leads for ongoing improvements.
- Oversees technical briefs and code review standards: set standards and ensure best practices.
- Drives overall Pipeline information collection, documentation and knowledge transfer process: eg. Provides demos and tutorials for artists and other TDs.
- Completes performance reviews of team and provides recommendations for education and training for ongoing skill development.
- Participates in daily scrum meetings and regularly scheduled department and production meetings.
- Participates in recruiting; resume reviews, interviews, evaluations, job descriptions, etc.
- Partners with Pipeline Management team to identify priorities and schedule tasks
- Mentors pipeline team members; advise, guide and grow others.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- BA in Computer Science, or similar discipline (REQUIRED)
- 7+ years’ experience in VFX software development (Feature Films PREFERED)
- 2 + years in Supervisor position (REQUIRED)
- Demonstrated advanced work experience with Nuke, 3Ds Max, Maya, C/C++ and Python.
- Experienced with planning large projects and forecasting show requirements.
- Experienced with team leadership; mentoring and performance management/development.
- Ability to understand situations quickly and shift priorities as needed.
- Negotiation skills: “buy in” from stakeholders, understand when to engage and when to pivot.
- Flexible and agile to rapid shifting schedules, targets and goals.
- Self-directed, proactive, detailed, organized and solution oriented.
- Experienced with runtime rendering APIs, like DirectX or OpenGL (PREFERED)
- Experienced with user interface design in QT/PyQT.
- Experienced with V-Ray, Thinking Particles, or Fume FX (PREFERRED)
- Experienced working w/pipelines in Windows.(REQUIRED)
- Experience with meshes, transforms, joints and dynamic simulations
- Understanding of scheduling, task estimates and capacity planning.
- Strong written & verbal communication skills
HOW TO MAKE YOUR APPLICATION STAND OUT
- APPLY ONLY ONCE.
We keep your resume on file for 6 months so no need to apply again unless there are significant changes or unless you're applying for a different position.
- ALWAYS APPLY WITH THE SAME EMAIL
We want to be able to reach you easily and much of our correspondence is via email and this helps us keep your information together in one file. That way you're not lost in the system.
- Resume - Include in your resume the names of the company's you worked with and the dates you were there. Max 2 pages.
- Cover Letter - tell us a little about yourself and what makes you the ideal candidate.
- Reel Breakdown - demonstrates what you did on each shot and the tools used - Go ahead! Show off your talent/skills here.