SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR - LA [JUNIOR-MID]
Celebrating over 25 years in the industry, Scanline VFX specializes in creating complex visual effects for high end, block buster feature films with studios worldwide: Vancouver, Los Angeles, Munich, and Stuttgart. Founded in Germany, the company expanded to Los Angeles in 2007 and opened the largest studio in beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia in 2011. In 2015 it won the Emmy for Outstanding Visual Effects for their work on Game of Thrones. Scanline VFX has received multiple Academy Award Nominations for Best Achievement in Visual Effects: 2014 for Iron Man 3 and in 2010 for its work on director Clint Eastwoods Hereafter. We are also well known for our proprietary, in-house fluid effects software Flowline, for which it received a 2008 Scientific and Technical Achievement Academy Award.
Today, it is one of the biggest names in the industry and the go-to studio for creating epic, breathtaking cinematic moments. Current productions include: Justice League: Part 2, Meg, Black Panther, Tomb Raider, Aquaman, and several other projects to be announced soon.
Recent projects include Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, Power Rangers, The Promise, Batman vs Superman: Independence Day Resurgence, Ben Hur, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Dawn of Justice, Game of Thrones, Furious 7, San Andreas, The 5th Wave, Point Break, Hateful 8, and In the Heart of the Sea. Past films include Exodus, The Hunger Games Mockingjay, 300: Rise of an Empire, Captain America: Winter Soldier, White House Down, Godzilla, The Wolf of Wall Street, Snowpiercer, Journey 2, Blackhat, Man of Steel, Iron Man 3, Looper, Cloud Atlas, A Good Day to Die Hard, The Amazing Spiderman, Divergent, Pompeii, Iron Man 3, Into the Storm, The Avengers, Battleship, The Invasion, Poseidon, Immortals, Super 8, 2012, Hereafter, 300, Poseidon, and The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.
Scanline VFX offers a leading edge creative, collaborative team environment working with brilliant talent from around the globe. Located in the heart of downtown Vancouver, BC the studio is steps from transit, the best in the city's trendy Yaletown dining and Robson high street shopping. On site amenities include a lounge/nightclub with big screen projector tv, pool table and foosball tables, over-sized patios and rooftop deck kitchen & BBQ areas, secure bicycle storage, massage chairs, showers and lockers. Experience fun team events, parties, sporting activities, local business discounts and much more.
Seeking a challenge where you will do the best work of your career?
"FOLLOW" us on linkedin for job board updates.
The Junior Systems Administrator assists in supporting all technical operations of our Vancouver and Los Angeles studio locations. Day-to-day tasks include basic help desk support via a ticketing system supporting 350+ users, quickly and effectively responding to alerts and emergencies as well as the general preparation and maintenance of critical and periphery infrastructure. Junior Systems Administrators are also expected to continually learn and grow with the team
- Provide organization-wide help desk and server support
- Assist in addressing business and technical needs
- Work independently and in teams on administrative and technical projects
- Provision and maintain employee equipment
- Monitoring and maintenance of a variety of physical and logical systems
- Collect and analyze data to report on the health of systems
- Respond to and assist in resolving incidents and emergencies
- Timely completion of tasks assigned primarily through a ticketing system
- Learn open and proprietary hardware and software systems
- Stay current with industry standards and emerging technologies
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in a computer science, engineering, physics or mathematics;
- 2+ years experience in a systems administration role
- Visual effects industry, gaming industry, software entertainment industry (preferred)
- Team player with ability to work individuality.
- Ability to deliver milestones/tasks under tight deadlines.
- Fundamental understanding of, and experience using and supporting:
- Windows, Mac OS X and Linux desktop and server systems.
- Local and networked storage systems
- Networking theory and practice (e.g. TCP/IP, VLANs, link aggregation, routing)
- Common network services/protocols (e.g. DNS, DHCP, SMTP, SMB, NFS)
- Computing and Internet standards (e.g. RFC, ISO, IEEE)
- Common office applications (e.g. Microsoft Office/Excel, E-mail Clients)
- Modern computer hardware
- Office equipment (e.g. printers, scanners)
- Server rooms/data centers
- Ability to:
- Work independently and in a team
- Work flexible hours
- Work effectively under pressure
- Learn quickly and independently
- Be highly organized
- Quickly and methodically troubleshoot and solve problems
- Effectively communicate technical ideas to “non-technical” people
- Effectively manage time (especially one's own) and resources
- Experience with and basic understanding of:
- Storage clusters (e.g. NetApp, Isilon, Avere)
- Intel, Cisco, Extreme and Juniper 1GbE and 10GbE networking equipment
- Render farms or high performance, distributed computing and storage clusters
- VoIP systems
- PCoIP systems
- DevOps systems and practices
HOW TO MAKE YOUR APPLICATION STAND OUT
- APPLY ONLY ONCE.
We keep your resume on file for 6 months so no need to apply again unless there are significant changes or unless you're applying for a different position.
- ALWAYS APPLY WITH THE SAME EMAIL
We want to be able to reach you easily and much of our correspondence is via email and this helps us keep your information together in one file. That way you're not lost in the system.
- Resume - Include in your resume the names of the company's you worked with and the dates you were there. Max 2 pages.
- Cover Letter - tell us a little about yourself and what makes you the ideal candidate.